Thread: Ministry of Water Resources - International Cooperation - Externally Aided Projects.

Super Moderator

Thumbs up Ministry of Water Resources - International Cooperation - Externally Aided Projects.

Ministry of Water Resources

International Cooperation

Externally Aided Projects

World Bank

A brief status of on-going projects assisted by World Bank is given below:

1. Madhya Pradesh Water Sector Restructuring Project

The total estimated cost of the project is about US $ 412.5 Million, out of which external assistance is US $ 394.02 Million. The project was started in September, 2005 and is scheduled to be closed in March 2011. The Project consists of total 654 sub-projects, 6 Major, 33 Medium and 615 Minor. The main components of the project are (i) Water Resources Management - Institutions and Instruments, (ii) Service Delivery Irrigation & Drainage Institutions, (iii) Improving Productivity of selected existing Irrigation & Drainage Assets in five basins, and (iv) Project Management. US$ 151.32 Million has been disbursed up to December 2010.

2. Uttar Pradesh Water Sector Restructuring Project

The Phase –I of the project commenced in March 2002 and was scheduled to be completed by 31.10.2010. The main components of the project are (i) Creation of Apex Water Institutions and strengthening Multi-Sectoral Water Resources and Environmental Management Capacity, (ii) Irrigation Department Reform and Capacity Building, (iii) Piloting Reform Options in Irrigation and Drainage Operations, (iv) Piloting Reform Options in Water Resources Management, (v) Feasibility Studies and Preparation Activities for Phase-II of the project and (vi) Project Implementation Coordination & Monitoring. The external assistance for Phase-I of the project is US $ 111.0 Million (IDA). US $107.97 Million has been disbursed up to December 2010.

3. Rajasthan Water Sector Restructuring Project

The project was started on 15.03.2002 and is scheduled to be closed on 31.03.2013.The Project consists of 91 schemes in canal rehabilitation works and 6 dam safety works. The main components of the project are: (i) Water Sector Institutional Restructuring and Capacity Building, (ii) Improving Irrigation System Performance and (iii) Establishment of Project Monitoring Unit. The loan amount is US $ 119.00 million (IDA). US $ 110.07 Million has been disbursed up to December 2010. An additional financing of US$ 19.0 million under IDA has been provided to the project.

4. Maharashtra Water Sector Improvement Project

The project was started in September, 2005 and is scheduled to be closed in March 2012. The main components of the project are: (i) Water Sector Institutional Restructuring and Capacity Building, (ii) Improving Irrigation Service Delivery and Management, (iii) Innovative Pilots, and (iv) Project Management. The total estimated cost of the project is about US $ 394 Million, out of which external assistance is US $ 325 Million. US$179.31 Million has been disbursed up to December 2010.

5. Andhra Pradesh Water Sector Improvement Project (APWSIP)

The objective of the project is to strengthen State capacity for multi-sectoral planning, development and management of water resources to improve the irrigation service delivery, water conveying efficiency and productivity of irrigated agriculture. The project agreement was signed on 14.08.2010 and the scheduled closing date is 31.07.2016. The main components of the project are: (i) water sector institutional restructuring and capacity building, (ii) improving irrigation service delivery and management including modernization and rehabilitation of Nagarjuna Sagar Project, (iii) innovative pilots on new irrigation management projects and technology induction, and (iv) project management. The total project cost is about US $ 956.00 million and the World Bank assistance is US $ 450.60 million (IBRD). US$ 41.13 million has been disbursed up to December 2010.

6. Orissa Community Tank Management Project

The objective of Orissa Community Tank Management Project is to improve agricultural productivity and strengthen Water User Associations (WUAs) to manage tank systems effectively. The loan agreement was signed on 27.01.2009 and closing date of the project is 31.12.2014. The loan amount is US $ 112.00 million, out of which IBRD component and IDA component each are US $ 56.00 million. The main components of the project are (i) institutional strengthening, (ii) tank system improvements, (iii) to provide agricultural livelihoods support services and (iv) Project management. The original estimated loan amount of the project was US$ 127.8 Million. It has been now been reduced to US$ 87.8 Million, i.e. by US$ 40 million due to reduction of its scope The cumulative disbursement upto 31.12.2010 is US $ 2.48 million.

7. Karnataka Community Based Tank Management Project (Credit No. – 4872 IN (IBRD), 3635-IN and 3635-1-IN (IDA))

The objective of the project is to improve rural livelihoods and reduce poverty by developing and strengthening community based approaches to improving and managing selected tank systems and rehabilitation of 1225 water bodies with CCA of 0.52 lakh hectare. The project was started on 04.06.2002 and is scheduled to be closed on 31.01.2012.The main components of the project are: (i) Establishing an enabling environment for tank system development (ii) Strengthening community development (iii) Undertaking tank system improvements, and (iv) Management of the project and its coordination at the state, district and cluster level. The total assistance from World Bank is US $ 139.02 million. Out of this, US $ 107.02 million is IDA component and US $ 32.00 million is IBRD component. US$ 56.97 million has been disbursed up to December 2010.

8. Andhra Pradesh Community Based Tank Management (Credit No. 4857 –IN (IBRD) and 4291-IN (IDA))

The main objective of the project is to improve minor irrigation system, agriculture livelihood support services and project management including institutional strengthening. Under the project, 3000 water bodies with CCA of 2.5 lakh hectare will be covered. The project agreement was signed on 08.06.2007 and the scheduled closing date is 31.12.2012. The total project cost is about US $ 217.8 million and the World Bank assistance is US $ 189.00 million, IBRD component and IDA component each are US $ 94.50 million. The main components of the project are: (i) Institutional Strengthening, (ii) Minor Irrigation Systems Improvements, (iii) Agricultural Livelihoods Support Services, and (iv) Project Management, which will support the management, coordination, monitoring, learning and evaluation efforts related to the project. US$ 37.93 million has been disbursed up to December 2010.

9. Tamil Nadu Irrigated Agriculture Modernization and Water Bodies Restoration and Management Project (Credit No. – 4846 IN (IBRD) and 4255- IN (IDA))

The objectives of the project are: (i) intensification and diversification of agricultural production, (ii) institutional modernization in irrigated agriculture and, (iii) rehabilitation of about 5763 tanks with CCA of about 4 lakh hectare. The project started on 12.02.2007 and its scheduled closing date is 31.03.2013. The main components of the project are (i) Irrigation Systems Modernization in a Sub-basing Framework, (ii) Agricultural Intensification and Diversification, (iii) Institutional Modernization for Irrigated Agriculture, and (iv) Water Resources Management. The total estimated cost of the project is about US $ 485 Million. US$160.59 Million has been disbursed up to December 2010.

10. Hydrology Project (Phase II)

Hydrology Project, Phase II (HP-II) was started in April 2006. The total estimated cost of HP-II is Rs. 631.83 Crore (US $ 135.01 Million), out of which World Bank funding is for US $ 104.98 Million (IBRD component ) and the balance amount is to be funded by Govt. of India. The loan agreement was signed on January 19, 2006. The period of implementation of the project is six years and will be closed in June 2012. The objective of HP-II is to extend and promote the sustained and effective use of Hydrological Information System (HIS) by all the potential users concerned with Water Resources Planning and Management both in public and private, thereby contributing to improved productivity and cost effectiveness of water related investments. HP-II is being implemented in 13 States viz. Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Kerala, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Orissa, Puducherry, Punjab and Tamil Nadu and 8 Central Organizations viz. Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB), Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), Central Water Commission (CWC), Central Ground Water Board (CGWB), Central Water & Power Research Station (CWPRS), National Institute of Hydrology (NIH), India Meteorological Department (IMD), and Ministry of Water Resources (MoWR). US $ 33.09 Million has been disbursed up to December, 2010.
    Last edited by ca_news; 08-08-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Super Moderator

Thumbs up International Cooperation - Externally Aided Projects - Asian Development Bank.

Asian Development Bank

A brief status of on –going projects assisted by Asian Development Bank is as follows:1. Chhattisgarh Irrigation Development Project (Loan No. 2159-IND)

The overall objective of the Project is to improve the productivity of irrigated agriculture in Chhattisgarh through improved irrigation service delivery, strengthen water resources management, and enhance agricultural practice as a means to improve incomes and reduce rural poverty. The project has the following interrelated objectives: (i) to improve the ability of WRD to develop and manage irrigation systems; (ii) to develop the capacity of WUAs to play a meaningful role in the design and rehabilitation, management, operations and maintenance of irrigation systems; (iii) to rehabilitate and upgrade minor and medium irrigations systems through a participatory process directed by WUAs ; (iv) to enhance the WUAs’ and farmers’ capacities for improved agricultural practices to increase agricultural productivity with an emphasis on diversified and rabi cropping; and (v) to strengthen the institutional framework and capacity for IWRM in Chhattisgarh. The project agreement was signed on 20.03.2006 and the scheduled closing date is 31.03.2013. The total disbursement upto December, 2010 is US $ 23.43 million.

2. Orissa Integrated Irrigated Agriculture and Water Management Investment Project (2444-IND)

The objectives of the project are: (i) to enhance the productivity, water use efficiency and sustainability of the existing major and medium irrigation systems in the selected irrigation subprojects in the four northern river basins (Brahmani, Baitarani, Subernarekha & Budhabalanga) & part of the Mahanadi river delta stage-I in Orissa, (ii) Water User Association (WUA) empowerment, renovation and extension of irrigation and associated infrastructure; field channels, agriculture and related support services including livelihood enhancement of the poor and progressive transfer of the operation and maintenance to WUAs, (iii) to strengthen the institutional basis for Participatory Irrigation Management (PIM) with management reforms and capacity strengthening of relevant institutions. The project will be implemented in 4 Tranches and the total net irrigated area will be 224050 hectare. The net irrigated area in Tranche-1 is 82240 hectare. The total cost of the project is US $ 267.7 Million, out of which US $ 157.5 Million is ADB Loan, US $ 30.0 Million is OPEC Fund for International Development (OFID), US $ 73.00 Million is State Government’s share and US $ 7.20 Million is Beneficiaries contribution. The loan agreement was signed on 25.02. 2009 and the project is scheduled to be closed on 30.09.2013.The total disbursement up to December, 2010 is US $ 1.46 million.
    Last edited by ca_news; 08-08-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Super Moderator

Thumbs up International Cooperation - Externally Aided Projects - Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC).

Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC)

A brief status of on-going projects with the assistance of Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) is as follows:

1. Andhra Pradesh Irrigation and Livelihood Improvement Project

The overall objective of the project is to improve rural livelihood and reduce poverty by stabilizing irrigation potential created through community management of water. The main component of the project is construction of minor irrigation facilities, which includes, (i) Rehabilitation of medium irrigation facilities (ii) Formation and capacity building of project WUA (iii) Support to sector reform and (iv) Consulting services. The project consists of 15 Medium Projects. The project was started in March, 2007 and the closing date is July, 2016. Out of the total loan amount of 23924 Million Japanese Yen, 2141.74 Million Japanese Yen has been utilized up to December, 2010.

2. Modernization of Kurnool Cuddapah Canal (II), Andhra Pradesh

The objectives of the project are: (i) to increase production of agriculture and improve the living standard of farmers in Kurnool, Cuddaph and Mehboobnagar districts of Andhra Pradesh, (ii) Rehabilitation, improvement, modernisation of the existing irrigation systems, and, (iii) Efficient utilization of limited water resources and to ensure equitable assured water supply to the designed command. The main components of the project are: (i) Construction of Sunkkesula Barrage (Regulator, Flood banks and Flood gate works, etc.) with storage capacity of 1.2 TMC, (ii) Construction of Alaganur Balancing Reservoir at Km 119.65 of K.C.Canal with a storage capacity of 85 M cum, and, (iii) Lining of main canal for a length of 260.5 Kms and distributaries covering length of 830 Kms and replacement of severely damaged structures. The Project consists of two Tranches. Tranche-I of the Project has been closed on 26.02.2005. The work under Tranche-II is in progress and has been scheduled to be closed on 18.06.2012. The total assistance for the project is of 4773 M Japanese Yen. 3125.88 M Japanese Yen has been disbursed up to December, 2010.

3. Rajasthan Minor Irrigation Improvement Project

The overall objectives of the project are: (i) to improve surface irrigation systems performance efficiency and strengthening agricultural support services in selected schemes through increased involvement of users, (ii) to increase food production and poverty alleviation, (iii) to strengthen capacity of Govt. official and WUAs, (iv) to strengthen capacity of strategic planning and sustainable development and management of surface water resources. The main components of the projects are: (i) Civil works for rehabilitation of 415 Minor Irrigation Schemes, (ii) Technical and institutional support, and (iii) Consulting Services. The loan agreement was signed on 31.03.2005 and effectuated on 28.7.2005. The project is scheduled to be closed on 28.07.2015. The total amount of loan assistance is JPY 11555 Million. 91.92 Million Japanese Yen has been disbursed up to December, 2010.

4. Rengali Irrigation Project – Orissa (Phase-I and Project-III)

The overall objective of the project is to increase the production of agriculture and thereby improve the living standard of farmers in the project area by constructing the irrigation systems. The main components of the project relate to construction of Rengali left bank Canal System from RD 29.177 KM to 71.3 KM, provision of necessary distribution system & ancillaries, construction of Bhairpur branch canal and distribution system including water courses. This Project focuses on phase- I of LBC-II (29.177 to 71.313 km), and is being funded by JICA in two tranches. Tranche I and II have been sanctioned in FY 1997 for JPY 7,760 million and in FY 2003 for JPY 6,342 million respectively. Tranche I of Rengali Irrigation Project is closed. Tranche II of Rengali Irrigation Project of JPY 6342 million is ongoing and its scheduled closing date is June 2011. Out of assistance of 6342 M Japanese Yen for Tranche-II, a total of 6203.19 M Japanese Yen has been reimbursed till December 2010.

A proposal for Rengali Irrigation Project- III (RD 71.313 Km. to RD 141 Km) was received in Feb, 2010. The loan agreement was signed in March, 2010 with the condition that effectuation of the project will take place only after the clearance of the project from TAC. The proposal/report of the project has been examined and accepted by TAC in its meeting held on 25th June, 2010. The loan agreement is effectuated from 24.11.2010.
    Last edited by ca_news; 08-08-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Super Moderator

Thumbs up International Cooperation - Externally Aided Projects - German Assistance.

German Assistance

A brief status of on-going project with the assistance of Kreditanstalt Fu Wiederaukbau (KFW), Germany is as follows:

1. Maharashtra Minor Irrigation Project

The main objectives of the project are: (i) Sustainable farmer-managed minor irrigation scheme (MIS) with optimal and equitable utilization of water, (ii) Creation of methodology for effective implementation of farmers – managed MIS, (iii) Institutionalization of methodology within rural development and water conservation department. The project agreement was signed on 01.06.2000 and is scheduled to be closed on 30.06.2011. The total amount of KFW assistance for the project is EURO 17.01 Million. EURO 13.17 M has been utilized up to December 2010.

Super Moderator

Thumbs up International Cooperation - Externally Aided Projects - Projects under Pipeline.

Projects under Pipeline

There are 5 projects under pipeline, 3 with the assistance of World Bank and 2 with the assistance of ADB. Out of 3 externally aided projects under pipeline assisted by World Bank, 1 relates to Dam Rehabilitation and Improvement Project in 4 States; 1 relates to Accelerated Development of Minor Irrigation Project (ADMI) in West Bengal and 1 relates to Water Sector Improvement in the State of Orissa. The brief details are given below:

1. Dam Rehabilitation and Improvement Project –Date of proposal: 7th May, 2003

The total estimated cost of the project is Rs 2100 Crore (US$437.5 million), out of which, 80% will be financed by the World Bank while balance 20% will be financed by the respective States and the Central Government. The Loan Negotiation has been completed with the World Bank and the participating States. The agreement with the World Bank is expected to be signed shortly. About 223 large dams in the four participating States, namely, Orissa, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh and Tamil Nadu which have substantial need for rehabilitation and improvements would be included in the project.

2. West Bengal Accelerated Development of Minor Irrigation Project (ADMI) –Date of proposal: 17th January, 2007

The total cost of the project is Rs. 1143.00 crore. The World Bank loan for the project is about US$250 million to be shared equally under International Development Association (IDA) and the International Bank of Reconstruction and Development (IBRD). The contribution of Government of West Bengal will be US $ 50 million. The proposed project will support the development of about 4,700 minor irrigation schemes throughout 18 districts of the State. The command area of scheme varies from 5 to 50 hectare and the total command area to be brought under irrigation is about 1.19 lakh hectare. Till December 2010, US $ 0.43 million has been disbursed under the Project Preparation Fund signed on 19.05.2008.

3. Orissa Water Sector Improvement Project (OWSIP) –Date of proposal: 16th May, 2007

The total estimated cost of the project is US $ 350 million, out of which loan amount will be US $ 300 million. The balance amount of US $ 50 million will be provided by the State Government. The main components of the project are (i) Institutional Modernization & Capacity Building ;( ii) Improving the sustainable productivity of existing assets and (iii) Preparation of future water investments. Keeping in the view the funds available under different schemes of Govt. of India, viz. A.I.B.P., FMP, NABARD, the State Government of Orissa has been working out the details of the sub-projects.

Out of 2 externally aided projects with the assistance of ADB, 1 relates to Sustainable Coastal Protection and Management Project and 2nd relates to North- Eastern Integrated Flood and River Bank Erosion Management Project (Assam) (AIFRERMIP). The brief status of these projects has been given below:

(i) Sustainable Coastal Protection and Management Project

The total estimated cost of Sustainable Coastal Protection and Management Project is US$ 404.6 million, out of which US$ 250.0 million will be financed by Asian Development Bank (ADB), US$ 119.8 million will be funded by concerned State Governments and balance amount of US$ 34.8 million will be funded through private sector and other sources. The project has been planned in 3 phases (i.e. 3 projects). In Phase-I, 4 sub- projects, viz. Mirya Bay in Maharashtra, Ullal in Karnataka and Coco and Colva Beaches in Goa are included. The loan negotiation meeting for Sustainable Coastal Protection and Management Project with ADB for 3 States viz. Maharashtra, Karnataka and Goa was held from August 30 - September 1, 2010. TAC approval of the sub-projects, namely, Mirya Bay in Maharashtra and Ullal in Karnataka is under process in CWC.

(ii) North- Eastern Integrated Flood and River Bank Erosion Management Project (Assam)(AIFRERMIP)

The total cost of AIFRERMIP over the period of 2010-17 is about US $ 150 Million. The financing pattern of the project is 80:20 between ADB and the Government. The Multi-Tranche Financing Facility (MFF) loan of this project of $ 120 million was approved on 19th October, 2010 and its project-I for $ 56.9 million was approved on 25th October, 2010. The MFF aims to improve the reliability of flood and river bank erosion risk management systems in flood prone areas in Assam, focusing on three selected sub-projects having existing flood embankments that are deteriorated and threatened by river bank erosion.

Bilateral Cooperation/ Signing of MoUs – Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) were signed by WAPCOS, a Public Sector Enterprise under the aegis of the Ministry of Water Resources with the Government of Lao PDR and the Royal Govt. of Cambodia in the field of Water Resources Management on 09.06.2010 and 10.06.2010 respectively.
    Pursuant to Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of India and Government of Australia signed on 10.11.2009, a Joint Working Group (JWG) having equal members from each side was formed in 2010 and the first meeting of JWG was held during 15-19 November, 2010 in New Delhi, wherein an Action Plan charting out various activities for cooperation on Water Resources Management between India and Australia was signed on 19.11.2010.

Bilateral Cooperation with African Countries - The first India-Africa Forum Summit (IAFS) was held in April, 2008 and the Union Cabinet approved the following with regard to Ministry of Water Resources:

a) Preparation of Strategy Paper on Integrated Water Resources Development and Management by WAPCOS, initially for 5 countries and to be extended to other countries later on; and

b) Conducting 7 specialized training courses.

Funds for above activities will be provided by Ministry of External Affairs under its ITEC programme.

On (a) above, WAPCOS has submitted a proposal for preparation of Strategy Paper on river basins in Chad, Bubye in Zimbabwe, Limpopo in Mozambique and Sankuru in DR Congo and is under consideration of Ministry of External Affairs.

Regarding (b), seven training courses on seven different specialized modules relating to water resources management for African engineers were prepared by seven Institutes, namely, National Water Academy, Pune; National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee; Central Ground Water Board; Central Water and Power Research Station; Central Soil and Materials Research Station; Deptt. of Water Resources, IIT, Roorkee and Deptt. of Hydrology, IIT, Roorkee.

National Water Academy, Pune and Rajiv Gandhi National Ground Water Training and Research Institute, Faridabad conducted training programmes, namely, “Preparation of Detailed Project Report for River Valley projects” and “Training Course on Ground Water Management and Modelling” for African nationals from 14-25 February, 2011 and 03-07 March, 2011 respectively.